Historically glass has been the go-to choice for transparent materials and products, but not now. Industrial Plastics offers a range of glass like plastic products. The two most common alternatives are Acrylic (aka Perspex) and Polycarbonate (aka Lexan or Makrolon). These replacements are commonly used in applications where glass is not suitable in regards to safety, durability and aesthetics.
Why Use Glass Like Products?
Although glass has existed for a long time and is a well-developed product it still has considerable drawbacks such as its high cost, weight and low impact resistance. As such, people are looking for alternatives to the associated problems of glass. The benefits of using glass like products are highlighted below:
- Glass is a very dense material, which makes its weight an issue to work with. Plastics like Acrylic and Polycarbonate are less than half the weight, improving the quality and customisability of materials/products.
- Clarity & Light
Glass only has a light transmittance of 90% compared to 92% for Acrylic and 89% for Polycarbonate.
- Strength & Durability
- Acrylic is 17 times stronger than glass.
- Polycarbonate is extremely impact resistant being 250 times stronger than glass.
- Cost of Replacement
- Both Acrylic and Polycarbonate are significantly cheaper than glass.
- Not only can Acrylic and Polycarbonate be suitable for clear glass replacement but it is also available in a wide range of colours, tints and finishes.
Unlike glass, Acrylic & Polycarbonate are extremely easy materials to work with. Both can be cut, drilled, machined, bent, moulded and fabricated to a range of custom designs which greatly outweigh glass.
As mentioned above, glass like products are used in applications where glass has historically been used or when glass is no longer suitable. Common applications of glass like products include:
- Window Bars
- Privacy screens
- Machinery Guards
- Vehicle headlights
Industrial Plastics have become experts in custom plastic fabrication over the last 50 years. Our development is supported by our skilled staff who will exceed your expectations by using the latest fabrications methods and ISO quality assured processes. For more information on Glass like products, please contact us via [email protected] or call 1300 465 888.